King's Map of the Red River in Louisiana (1806)
|Dwnld:||Full Size (5.09mb)|
|Source:||Library of Congress|
|See our Prints Page for more details|
An interesting footnote to the region. There existed from the 1200AD until the 1830s a permanent, unnavigable log-jam on the Red River that came to be known as the Great Raft which extended, at one point, for 165 miles (250 km). A man named Henry Miller Shreve (for whom the town of Shreveport was named) made it more-or-less a life's work to clear it out.